As parents it is up to us to help our children stop thumb sucking Brampton but, we do not have to do it alone.
Honestly, most children outgrow thumb or finger sucking especially when they start school.
Seeing your child’s pediatric dentist twice a year is important as they can watch the structure of the mouth and forming teeth so they can alert you if there is any damage being done to the bite or teeth.
If there are signs that the thumb sucking is beginning to cause problems; then discuss with the dentist ways to help your child stop, including what if any products they recommend.
The first thing is to determine why the child is sucking their thumb or finger.
Is it a coping mechanism for dealing with stress and anxiety?
If that is the case you will need to help your child reduce stress and anxiety.
If it is a habit problem there are ways to discourage the habit.
- Positive praise for not sucking the thumb or finger
- Find a new constructive way to reduce boredom with crafts and arts
- Remind the child gently that sucking their thumb is bringing dirt and germs into their mouth(you do not want to turn them into a germaphobic)
- Never add stress or anxiety about thumb sucking as it will on exacerbate the issue
- If the child is doing this to get your attention, ignore it when it does not get your attention they will find another way to draw your attention
Type of products
There are products available that include:
- Actual covers that cover the thumb or finger
- Tropical treatments that can be spread on the thumb or finger that leave a bad taste
The Brampton dental clinic can discuss various ways to help you help your child end thumb sucking.